Wednesday 31 March 1993

A v Turkey (Izmir) 31.3.1993



THis was me on the front page the day after the England game. This was just after I was hit in the face with a fragment of a brick as the England fans came under attack at half time. The newspaper links my injury to bad behaviour by other England fans and a how hysel was caused by English hooligans.





At the U21 match the day before





Security!!!




Match tickets





Some views of Izmir...




Pictures by Lee Roberts


Two pictures inside the ground. I lost everything I took on the trip (Lugagge was stolen from the coach waiting outside the ground) and my camera (as well as my eye!).

These pictures dont show the intimidation of the few of us that made this trip, the estimation was just 500 travelled out after trouble in the previous visit to Turkey..................................






Some of the coverage in the National Newspapers. Not a lot until the Sunday people got involved.................................







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was standing in front of you at the time Mark. It was raining with stones and coins and there was nowhere to hide from the various missiles. What happened to you was dreadful. It is a wonder how there weren't more casualties. The Police were disgraceful and incompetent and allowed the Turks to do what ever they wanted. Cant believe it is 21 years ago. Regards. Roger from Exeter.